Just last night I finished a baby blanket for my niece, June, and for the first time ever, I created the pattern that I used. I’ve made a lot of baby blankets over the years. Some quilted, some flannel, some knit and some crochet (at least 18 that I can remember, probably more). Until now, not a single one was completely my own creation. Oh, yes, I’ve made subtle changes to patterns over the years so that something I saw would work better for what I was doing. But it was still someone else’s pattern. But not this time.
It took many hours in Excel to chart it out to know what I was doing. And I still haven’t gotten the directions written to my satisfaction (darn seed stitch). Here is the final result.
I knitted it on the diagonal using a combination of knit, purl, and seed stitches. Eventually I hope to have some easy to follow instructions written up for someone else to try making it.